Are you a book worm or do you run as far away from reading as possible? Maybe in the past you’ve had every intention of sitting down to read, but the hussle and bussle of work, kids, etc. have taken away from your “me” time.
A lot of us are probably experiencing more free time than we have ever been used to. Let’s take this time to get in a habit of reading. This is something I’ve done the last few months and it has totally transformed my daily routine and attitude. Start with making small goals of reading at least 10 minutes per day or at least one chapter per day. Make a larger goal of how many books you’d like to read in the next 6 months and then the entire year. Make sure you get some different genres in the mix-some fictional books for pleasure, some self-help/motivational books for self-improvement, and some educational books for bettering your business, finances, relationships, knowledge about certain topics and so on.
Make it even more fun and get a few friends involved for discussion and accountability. I’m currently in an online book club where we choose one book per month. We have a few weeks to read the book, a Facebook group with discussion questions to help us reflect on the reading and then an end of the month meeting to chat about the entire book. It has really helped me stay on track of reading and I’m already implementing new habits and things I’ve learned. My main goal was to read at least 12 books in 2020. If I continue just reading one book per month with my book club, I’ll have read at least 11. I’ve read a few for fun at the same time and now have read 5/12 and by the end of May I’ll have read 7.
Reading has been a great stress reliever and way to pass time besides watching Netflix for hours on end. I feel like it’s a little less mindless and a little more productive. Check out a few new titles to add to your reading list. I promise they won’t disappoint!
- Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones by James Cole
- Unfu*ck Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and Into Your Life by Gary John Bishop
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike
- Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
- Little Fires Everywhere by Celest Ng
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- Turning Pro: Tap Your Inner Power and Create Your Life’s Work by Steven Pressfield
- You’re Not Broke, You’re Pre-Rich: How to Streamline Your Finances, Stay in Control of Your Bank Balance, and Have More $$$ by Emilie Bellet
- Bare: A 7 Week Program to Transform Your Body, Get More Energy, Feel Amazing, Become the Bravest, Most Unstoppable Version of You by Susan Hyatt